CompTIA Security+ is a global certification exam that validates the baseline skills you need to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career.
CompTIA Security+ is the first security certification that every information technology professional should earn. It stresses hands-on practical skills, ensuring you’re prepared to solve a wider variety of issues in your cybersecurity role – it’s what sets this exam apart from others! This qualification provides a springboard to intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs.
The CompTIA Security+ Exam:
Skills covered in CompTIA Security+ have become a baseline for all cybersecurity jobs. The newest version has been updated to reflect how cyber security jobs are becoming more specialised, such as, Security Analytics.
The importance of and demand for CompTIA Security+ has increased for a broader variety of job roles.
Successful candidates will have the following skills:
- Identify strategies developed by cyber adversaries to attack networks and hosts and the countermeasures deployed to defend them
- Understand the principles of organisational security and the elements of effective security policies
- Know the technologies and uses of cryptographic standards and products
- Install and configure network- and host-based security technologies
- Describe how wireless and remote access security is enforced
- Describe the standards and products used to enforce security on web and communications technologies
- Identify strategies for ensuring business continuity, fault tolerance and disaster recovery
- Summarise application and coding vulnerabilities and identify development and deployment methods designed to mitigate them
The exam itself covers the below topics:
- Threats, Attacks and Vulnerabilities: Analyse indicators of compromise and determine types of malware or compare and contrast types of attacks
- Identity and Access Management: Implement identity and access management controls or differentiate common account management practices
- Technologies and Tools: Troubleshoot common security issues or deploy mobile devices securely
- Risk Management: Explain the importance of policies, plans and procedures related to organisational security
- Architecture and design: Summarise secure application development, deployment, cloud and virtualization concepts
- Cryptography and PKI: Compare and contrast basic concepts of cryptography or implement public key infrastructure
What Jobs Are You Qualified To Do With the CompTIA Security+ Qualification?
- Systems Administrator
- Junior Cyber Security Analyst
- Network Administrator
- Security Administrator
- Junior IT Auditor/ Penetration Tester
- Security Specialist
- Security Consultant
- Security Engineer
How Much Can You Make With The CompTIA Security+ Qualification?
- Systems Administrator £33,840
- Network Administrator £34,674
- Security Administrator £24,794
- Security Engineer £59,954